The first thing visitors from the south see on their way to our town's shopping and business centre is the lovely Arthur Square.
Bordered by Pioneer, Bathurst, Stephen and High Streets the park is beautifully maintained all year round. It's a peaceful place to stop, walk around, view the fountain and gardens and picnic with friends and family. Often used as an entertainment and commemoration location the park is a wonderful place to spend some time.
It was approved as a green by Governor Lachlan Macquarie after he passed through the area in 1811. The placard on the edge of the green explains that "The Town was named Elizabeth Town after Governor Lachlan Macquarie's wife. The Lachlan Creek was to be known as The Thames. Norfolk Island settlers who came to 'The Hills' (New Norfolk's early name) disregarded Macquarie's orders and named the town New Norfolk after their island home and the rivulet they named The Lachlan after Macquarie. In early days the square was used for recreation purposes." Today it is a pleasant picnic and recreation area.